Christian Counseling for Anxiety Disorders
Life is stressful. Because of this, there are times when a bit of anxiety is normal and once the stressful situation has passed, the anxious feelings dissipate.
For some, though, anxious feelings are what has become a normal part of life. It might even go so far as to limit a person’s capability to function in everyday life. If you find yourself often experiencing feelings of nervousness, being overwhelmed, or being obsessed with something which has led to feeling like you just have no control, you may be dealing with a type of anxiety disorder.
Trying to function in a very stressful life can be harmful both to your mental health as well as to your body. It can have a negativeimpact on your relationships, both with the Lord and with others. You don’t have to settle for anythingshort of what God designed it to be.
If you are weary of the daily, sometimes hourly, struggle and ready to embrace the life God intended for you, Christian anxiety counseling may be ableto help you find the relief you desire. We want to help you learn how to calm the mental storms so that you can become all that God intends for you.
Get connected with a Christian counselor
Contact Trish at reception
Getting Relief for Anxiety through Christian Counseling?
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. – Psalm 94:19
How many times have you heard some tell you, “just let go and let God,” when struggling with anxiety? For someone with anxiety,“letting go and letting God” is easier said than done. By means of Christian counseling for anxiety, you can overcome your anxiety issues at your pace. There is no hurry. There is no deadline.
The counselors at San Diego Christian Counseling use a combination of methods for relief from anxiety that has proven highly effective. They will also formulate a plan for treatment that will work for your particular needs, your goals for recovery and healing,and your faith.
Get Connected With a Christian Counselor
Contact Trish at reception
How Can I Tell If I Am Suffering From An Anxiety Disorder?
For some people, anxiety has become a normal part of life. It causes them to believethat it is simply something they will have to endure for the rest of their lives. Others mayfeel that theyought to be able to bring the symptomsunder control, not understanding that those symptoms are the result ofa disorder.
These types of disorders reveal themselves in a wide variety of forms. In fact, they are oneof the most widespread mental health problem in the United States, affecting 40 million adults in the U.S.
Common anxiety disorder symptoms may include:
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Feelings of powerlessness.
- Feeling suffocated or dizzy.
- Racing heartbeat.
- Feelings of dread or imminent danger.
- Uncontrollable thoughts, worry, or fear.
It is important to understand that the symptoms of an anxiety disorder will vary, dependingon the particular kind of anxiety disorder a person has. Moreover, each case presents itself differently in each individual.
No two people struggle with an anxiety disorder the same way. The counselors at San Diego Christian Counseling have been trained to identify and treat many types of anxiety disorders. They can find the right treatment options that will help you overcome your particular expression of anxiety disorder.
Kinds of anxiety disorders treated by our Christian counselors include:
- Specific phobias.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Panic disorder.
- Social anxiety disorder.
- Generalized anxiety disorder.
Most come to our offices without knowing exactly what kind of anxiety they suffer from, but they do know that they are ready to deal with the overwhelming feelings in order to be able to live life to its fullest. We want to help in pinpointing the exact cause or causes of your form of anxiety, help you to understand it, and provide treatment plans that meet your goals for relief and recovery.
The Importance Of A Faith-Based Foundation For Treating Anxiety
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. – 1 Peter 5:7
As Christian counselors, we provide a place that is safe to lay down your worries, heal your wounds, and find true and lasting peace. Each counselor is unique and offers his or her own method for recovery. Even so, each of our counselors has one common goal: to help our clients overcome their anxiety and live a whole and healthy life completely connected with themselves, their friends and family, and most importantly, Christ.
Will Therapy Really Help Treat My Anxiety?
Many people respond extremely well to anxiety therapy. According to a survey from The Psychiatric Times, about 60% respond well to anxiety therapy, and up to one-third come to a full recovery.
Generally, studies show that evidence-based treatment approaches for anxiety disorders are extremely effective. We blend these vital tools with teaching and healing built on a Christian foundation for the best results.
If you have been frustrated with other kinds of counseling, we are confident we can help. If you need medication to meet your relief and recovery goals, we have Christian psychiatric care providers who can help you with that, as well.
Through Christian anxiety counseling, you will:
- Learn how to control negative thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Gain skills to help you make better choices and form healthier relationships.
- Explore faith as a cornerstone for healing.
- Identify the underlying cause of your anxiety.
- Gain support for lasting recovery.
- Gain a better understanding of your unique anxiety condition.
- Develop a personalized recovery plan.
- If needed, discuss medication expectations.
Because we are Christian counselors, we have had the privilege of helping countless lives completely transformed. We pride ourselves on a holistic approach that brings healing to both the body and the mind,which offers real, life-long anxiety recovery.
What to Expect In Christian Anxiety Counseling?
Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid. – John 14:27
You may have looked to a variety of things for comfort when dealing with anxiety, such as food, drugs, and others. Some of these methods are extremely unhealthy and will actually make things much worse. We provide a foundation of faith in Jesus Christ for discovering true and lasting healing and peace. Because anxiety has dangerous consequences for your health, it is vital to seek help.
What Happens In Anxiety Counseling?
It’s okay to be nervous before beginning counseling. Please try a risk-free first session with one of the counselors at San Diego Christian Counseling. Then you will have a general notion of what kinds of things to expect and determine whether this type of counseling is what you need.
You will be given the opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns that you might have during this first session. You’ll also have the opportunity to share your life story and your goals. Christian anxiety counseling can take on many different forms which depend on your particular needs.
Types of therapy for anxiety include:
- Group Therapy – Group counseling for anxiety can be helpful, particularly for those struggling with social anxiety disorders. Having a safe place of support from like-minded people can make a great impact for many.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing – EMDR offers techniques for handling stress while changing the way your brain processes information so that you are able to better handle stressful situations. This therapy works particularly well for those suffering from panic disorders and phobias.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy – DBT teaches skills for regulating emotions and thoughts by becoming more aware of yourself, your stressors, and discovering healthy ways of dealing with negative emotions.
- Exposure Therapy – This is a form of CBT that helps you reduce your fear and anxiety responses by gradually exposing you to a stressor which will cause you to be less sensitive to it over time. This therapy works particularly well for those with OCD and phobias.
- Psychodynamic Therapy – This form of therapy delves into the root cause of your anxiety through learning more about yourself and working through any issues in your past and present relationships that have contributed to the development of your anxiety. The goal is for you to understand why you behave as you do so that you can move forward with your life.
- Cognitive – Behavioral Therapy – CBT helps you become more aware of your thoughts and emotions to see how they can trigger your anxiety. By becoming more aware you can learn to gain better control of your emotions and behaviors.
To discover the best Christian counselor in San Diego for your needs, be sure to contact a counselor trained in treating different types of anxiety disorders. Look for those who have specialties in the different kinds of anxiety therapy. They will be equipped to enable you to gain the most from each session.
Here are some things you can expect from Christian anxiety counseling:
- Client-oriented counseling that is dedicated to helping you reach your full potential while upholding your needs, values, and goals.
- An environment that supports your faith and uses it as the foundation for your recovery process.
- Help from highly-trained Christian counselors who know how to treat all types of anxiety disorders and will implement effective methods of treatment.
- A safe, compassionate place for you to share without fear, learn more about your form of anxiety, and gather tools for recovery.
At San Diego Christian Counseling we believe that you can recover from anxiety. With personal commitment and Christian faith, we are confident that you can move forward to a healthy life. You don’t have to live with anxiety. Relief and recovery for your anxiety are possible through Christian counseling.
Get Connected With a Christian Counselor
Contact Trish at reception