Counseling For Men’s Issues
Get connected with a Christian counselor
Contact Kelsey at reception
At San Diego Christian Counseling, we offer counseling for a wide range of men’s issues. Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions about counseling for men in San Diego:
What issues do you cover in counseling for men?
Christian counseling for men’s issues is a tremendous resource for men at any age to reorient their lives or process their personal challenges. Whether you are wrestling with your relationships, career, sexuality, or identity as a man, the counselors at San Diego Christian counseling are here to offer support and guidance for the different issues in your life.
Common reasons for entering men’s counseling are:
- Anxiety and Depression
- Anger issues
- Pornography and sexual addiction
- Integrity and servant leadership
- Chemical dependency
- Fatherhood and relationships
- Work and career
- Crisis and trauma counseling
- Spiritual development
At San Diego Christian Counseling, you can expect to receive the following from counseling for men’s issues:
- Support with dignity – Asking for help is one of the hardest parts of healing. We respect and admire anyone with the boldness to be real in their life circumstances. We want to offer non-judgmental support and be a safe place for you to process your hopes and concerns.
- Tools for positive change – We want you to grow in all areas of life. So our goal is to provide you a variety of methods and tools for your unique circumstances. That way you can handle whatever you face in life.
- Experience you can trust – San Diego Christian Counseling is a trusted and experienced counseling group in San Diego. We have lots of experience helping men face and overcome all sorts of obstacles. Even when it seems bleak, there is always a way to move forward and grow.
- Faith-based solutions – Christian counseling provides tried and tested secular practices as well as faith-based recovery techniques and disciplines. Faith in Christ can provide healing where other methods have fallen short. Through Christian men’s counseling, you can grow into not only a good man, but a man of God.
Admitting we need help is hard, but doing so is a great act of humility that opens the door to true healing. At San Diego Christian Counseling, we are ready to help men step into their true identity as men of God and rest secure in their identity.
Get Connected With a Christian Counselor
Contact Kelsey at reception
What are the most common anxiety symptoms in men?
Men often struggle to confront their anxiety. There is a certain level of cultural shame associated with anxiety and men. Men are told they need to be in control and can’t be afraid. This often leads men to not confess their fear and anxiety to other people. Instead, men often become irritated, angry, or turn to a substance to calm their anxiety (alcohol, drugs, sex).
Other common symptoms of anxiety symptoms in men are:
- Uncontrollable feelings of worry or fear.
- Thoughts of dread or impending danger.
- A racing heartbeat.
- Feeling suffocated or dizzy.
- A sense of powerlessness.
- Trouble concentrating.
How could Christian counseling help me overcome the symptoms of anxiety that I’m experiencing?
Christian counseling for anxiety is predicated on a relationship with and trust in God. However, the process of meeting with a counselor will do more than simply call you to have greater faith in God. It will help you break down and identify the sources of your anxiety so you can begin to live in greater faith in all areas of your life and not just try to manage your symptoms.
In general, counseling for anxiety is known to be effective. When these proven practices are combined with reliance on Christ, you can find deep healing. If you need medication, Christian psychiatric providers are able to help you with that too.
Through Christian anxiety counseling, you can:
- Understand your anxiety better.
- Find the root causes of your anxiety.
- Develop a personalized recovery plan.
- Learn to take captive your negative feelings, behaviors, and thoughts.
- If necessary, discuss medications.
- Be equipped with new skills to help you make better choices and foster healthier relationships.
- Explore faith as a cornerstone for healing.
- Gain support for lasting recovery.
What are some common causes of depression in men?
Depression symptoms will vary from person to person, but there are some key ones that overlap. And some symptoms for men will differ from symptoms for women. For example, men are likely to feel tired, irritable, lose interest in work, family, or hobbies, and experience difficulty sleeping.
Common symptoms of depression in men are:
- Feel sad or “empty”
- Feeling irritable, angry, hopeless, or anxious
- Loss of interest in work, family, or other hobbies and interests (including sex)
- Lethargy and exhaustion
- An inability to concentrate
- Sleep-related difficulty (unable to sleep or sleeping too much)
- Changes in eating habits (overeating or not eating at all)
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
- Somatic complaints (aches or pains, headaches, digestive problems)
- Struggling to complete basic, daily responsibilities.
What treatment options do you offer to overcome symptoms of depression in men?
When it comes to treatment for depression, everyone will need something slightly different depending on the type of depression, the severity of the symptoms, and goals for recovery. As a Christian association of counselors, we incorporate prayer, Bible study, and faith in the grace of God with evidence-based counseling methods including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – CBT prepares people to manage harmful thougths and behaviors by developing an awareness of how these thoughts and actions might contribute to their depression. Once they develop greater awareness, the counselor will help replace negative and unrealistic thoughts with healthy, positive perceptions of your life.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy – IPT focuses on depression and relationships through addressing conflict and your interaction with those around you, including family, friends, and romantic partners.
- Psychodynamic Therapy – This form of therapy dives into the deeper cause of your depression by digging into your past and relationships. The goal is for you to move past shame and guilt while learning why you act the way you do, so you can move forward in your life.
Depression and feeling stuck do not need to be norms in your life. You can get help. Can you imagine the joy and freedom of releasing the chains of depression as you step into the wholeness and newness of life in Christ? Our counselors can help you step into the new life God has for you.
I’m looking for relationship advice for men. Can you help?
San Diego Christian counseling can provide relationship advice for men in all areas of life. Whether you are dealing with conflict in your friendships, family, or intimate relationships, we are here to help.
Our goals for you include:
- Teaching you how to develop healthy relationships.
- Learning how to build healthy, mutual friendships.
- Explaining ways for you to nurture healthy family dynamics.
- Discovering your barriers to forming close connections with people.
- Healing from fears and inner wounds.
- Establishing greater trust in yourself and with Christ.
There are all sorts of relationships in life. Every relationship carries different expectations and responsibilities, we are here to help you navigate each one and its unique nature through counseling techniques and faith-based practices.
I struggle with pornography addiction but I haven’t told anyone yet. I want to stop. What should I do?
If you feel trapped in an addiction to pornography, you are likely dealing with sexual addiction. Just because you are not acting with other people doesn’t mean you don’t face a serious problem. Seeking help is one of the first steps toward a meaningful recovery
If you’re tired of pornography ruling your life, then San Diego Christian counseling is here to help you gain freedom. We want you to find healing from the wounds causing your addiction and the damage it has done to yourself and to those you love. Sexual addiction is almost always rooted in deep emotional pain from your past.
Christian counseling for sexual addiction will help you:
- Understand the cause of your addiction, where it comes from, and how it affects your life.
- Teach you how to deal with the deeper issues, so you can stop coping with symptoms and start healing.
- Develop healthy, meaningful relationships with other people, including intimate relationships.
- Rebuild self-esteem, and provide a new sense of identity and direction.
- Establish renewed confidence in your own sexual identity.
- Foster and strengthen loving relationships with yourself, others, and God.
An addiction to pornography is a form of sex addiction, which is a serious issue. Christian counseling is a place for you and your loved ones to better understand sexual addiction, discuss your expectations regarding recovery, and equip you with tools for real, lasting change. Sexual addiction damages everyone involved, not the addict alone. In light of this, it’s important to respond to concerns earlier rather than later. The longer it goes on the more damage that will be done. Don’t live in secrecy and shame. Seek help where you can heal from your past wounds and grow into greater intimacy and closeness with Jesus Christ.
Do you offer career counseling at San Diego Christian Counseling?
Yes. San Diego Christian counseling offers personal career development counseling or career counseling. This is a great option if you feel stuck in your job or can’t seem to resolve conflict in your workplace. Meeting with a career development counselor at San Diego Christian counseling can help you gain greater clarity regarding your career and resolve conflict related to your job. We focus on key interpersonal and organizational issues regarding work environments. Meet with one of our work-related counselors to further discuss what we can do for you and your specific situation.
Does it matter whether I see a male counselor or female counselor?
The gender of a therapist comes down to personal preference. Current research suggests that the gender of a therapist does not necessarily impact the effectiveness of therapy. That being said, there may be times when having a male or female therapist can be more effective. If someone is wrestling through issues with their father, it may be helpful to have a supportive male presence, or if a man is dealing with a breakup, then having a women’s voice and perspective can be very helpful.At the end of the day, part of therapy is finding the right person for the job and part of that will involve meeting with different therapists to find the right fit.
Get Connected With a Christian Counselor
Contact Kelsey at reception